Just call me Ja Ja. Now that we have found a 3rd bank (yes, the charm) to think of a creative way for us to purchase our fixer-upper, the reality is beginning to set in.
I won't go into the drama that we have been through trying to purchase this place, but now that we know we can have a clean title to it and can fix it up the way WE want to (not the suggested contractors who submit bids to the government), I am wondering if I am up to the challenge. I toyed with the idea of doing a reality TV show in which a city girl with no skills takes on a fixer-upper in the country that has nothing going for it other than it has a new roof, solid basement and enough potential square footage for 5 kids, an office, a library and possibly a music studio. This city girl will learn to pull up carpet, lay down tile, install appliances, build out a basement, rip siding off a home and wrap the walls in tyvec before putting up new siding that she painted herself and all this while juggling a curious 2 year old boy who thinks he can fly and runs around growling "my precious" (yes too many times watching Lord of the Rings with his 4 year old sister- we corrupt our kiddos in this house early).
This show would, of course, have to been shot in between production schedules for the other TV reality show which I call "Chopped, my left pinkie" in which a mother of 5 hustles around making dinner while the kiddos rifle through the pantry looking for sugar. The basket of ingredients will always include a half empty jar of pickles (or half full depending on your view of dill) and wheat berries.
Steve has vetoed my Food Network pilot on the basis that no one reeeeeally wants to experience true reality. He also nixed my application I found on the HGTV website for renovation virgins.....he said he didn't want to have a camera in his face. (I think he doesn't want anyone to see him cuss through the whole experience). Our marriage has been through much and I will gift him the absence of a camera crew, but expect full disclosure here because I HAVE to share the rollar coaster with my closest 300 friends or the pain won't have been worth it:) Ha!
So instead of packing and cleaning or organizing we have studied soil maps today, chosen the breed of chickens for our backyard and I have read up on lasagna mulching.....because I have a PLAN for all those boxes once they are unpacked. Some of these boxes have been with us since we married in 1999. (some even longer) The boxes are an archeologist's record of where we have been and what we have owned and some of them are frankly embarrassing in how marked up they are. This will be our final resting place for all of those boxes. If we ever move again it will be because we have become so independently wealthy that we have to go into hiding and will pay our "people" to buy us new possessions for the new world we surround ourselves in..........
I absolutely expect full disclosure here or I want to hear about it somehow. I am so excited for you guys to have your dream place. Good luck with all the work.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to hear (be a part of) the crazy stories!!
ReplyDelete