Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Nothing really new here

I guess I spend an inordinate amount of time actually reading my friends blogs and not much time here. I also spend more time than I would like to admit dodging the laundry and creating new and unusual recipes for muffins.
Yes, you read right. I am a muffin nut. Its how I heat up the house in the morning and get the household moving. I love for them to wake up to the smell of my creations but usually end up getting up at the last minute and the yummies come out of the oven 10 minutes before the bus stop boogie, so the house smells great as they leave.
I would greatly benefit from an organized fetish (but as my friends from high school know the real me, that just isn't the real me); it would be great if I wrote down what I did as I did it and took notes on what worked great. Well, that's just not my thing. Mainly my thing consists of juggling Johnny (literally) and Kelly while harassing the older girls to hurry up and get their lunches made (which usually consist of a hot muffin that they sometimes eat and sometimes don't). In between pulling Johnny off of chairs that help him to reach the sink and do the dishes for me and braiding little girl hair, I manage to pull off some pretty good stuff.
Why do I love muffins? Think about cake in your hand in less than 30 minutes. Then take out most of the sugar, substitute freshly ground groats and oats and add whatever I am in the mood for (or needs used up). Sometimes they are good and sometimes they are ignored until the neighbor kiddos come over:)
My other confession is that I spend so much time with my sweetheart and kids that I don't usually have quiet down time to write, so this is all ya git for now:)
its honey time:)

2 comments:

  1. That reminds me, I need that recipe for the cookies we made at Thanksgiving. The ones that had a generic recipe and then we made three different varieties (and by me I mean you and the girls as I recall). I don't remember much about them other than that they were really good and I want some more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always want more of those:)
    The recipe is one I took from my aunt Jan Wilson called $200 cookies or some such. Its pretty easy to modify by adding different things than chocolate chips. One of my favorite variations is to add orange zest, cranberries and pumpkin pie spices.
    The other thing I love about the recipe is that it tells you to bake them for only 7 minutes and then let the cookies finish baking on the pan out of the oven. We often forget that things continue to bake and that makes cookies crispy. I like them to be almost like brownies. Heck, I really just want to eat the dough raw. anyway, here it is (from my memory.....Jan may actually have something else)

    cream together:
    2 cups brown sugar
    2 cups white sugar
    2 cups butter
    4 eggs

    dry ingredients:
    5 cups ground oatmeal (pulse in blender til flour consistency)
    4 cups flour (I use whole wheat flour i grind, but white flour is OK)
    1 tsp salt
    2 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp baking soda

    mix those together and add your "flavorings". One variation is to add cocoa powder and white choc chips, another is to add raisons and spice...your imagination is your limit.

    ReplyDelete