Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Update for the curious

We bought the truck of Steve's specs. As typical of all things in our family it was an ordeal but now that we finally have it I am at peace........as soon as I can get it fixed up, inspected and licensed. This opens a new world of independence for me, its just a challenge in that the manual gear shift stick keeps coming off in my hand at the most inopportune moments and I seem to stall the truck whenever we are pulling up to or leaving church.

The nursery trees are in the ground. 40 plus. Think apples, plums, peaches, almonds, cherries, apricots, persimmon, paw paw, ...basically everything but pear. Leaves are sprouting and spring is in the air and all the world is beautiful and........our order from the conservation department just arrived. 100 blackberries, and bundles also of silver maple, black walnut and elderberry. This ought to be fun.

The chicks are outgrowing their washtub. We have continued to procrastinate the building of the chicken coop in favor of getting trees and bushes in the ground. 28 chicks make a LOT of poop and Kaitlyn has taken to wearing an exotic costume when dealing with them. Photos to follow.

The kitten is still alive. Today was a horrible kitten day that I do not want to repeat. We all thought Johnny had taken her outside to play with and we spent hours, YES- HOURS looking for her outside. I gave up and wanted to get on with my day as I KNEW she was not anywhere outside. I had looked everywhere! She was taking a nap on Kimberly's bed and hiding under the covers. If you know us, you know there was a lot of drama involved in the search and I still have a headache about it. But. Kitty. Is. Still. Here.

The garden is still waiting to be tilled again. The potatoes are sprouting but everything else awaits the actual planting. I gloated when the frost came this week.....see, procrastination IS good for something.....yet I really would like to eat a tomato sometime this summer so its crunch time. I just checked the forecast and rain is expected all weekend. Is it bad to plant in the rain?

The bees will be put off until next year. Its a long story but the short version is that we just can't come up with any time for yet another project. The good news is that we have a plethora of butterflys and I think the garden (you know, the one not planted yet) will still get pollinated.

I have profound and beautiful thoughts as I walk the orchard and listen to the racket in the woods but no time to document these fleeting moments of clarity so this is all ya get for my update. Sorry, no pics this time. Just know that a mom's work is never done and neither is a wife's. Add in a city girl trying to learn to shovel and swing a pick and you have one very tired girl.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, where do you find the time for anything! I would say of course you can plant in the rain, it waters the plants as you plant them, although working in the mud may not be quite as fun, unless you are little and don't have to do the clean-up work afterward. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete